Since I just about cry every time I tell someone about Baylee's birth I thought I would blog it and then maybe that will save me a couple of retellings! So here is the story of my little miracle....
I went into labor on Sept. 11th at around 4:00 pm. I called Evan and told him he should probably skip preloading and come home. He arrived home around 6:30 or 7 and we left to take Jace to Grandma and Grandpa Thurgoods (after cleaning up Jace who had diarrhea while having contractions...not fun!) We had a quick bite to eat at my parents house and then left for the hospital letting Grandma know we would call her when delivery was getting close so she could come in and video tape for us. We arrived at the hospital and I was having contractions every 2-3 minutes. I was dialated to a 4 and about 75% effaced. After we were admitted we had the epidural by an awesome doctor, Dr. Woody. He was funny and joked around with us. He did a great job getting it in and it was working beautifully. The surface of my stomach never numbed so I could feel the pressure from contractions but not the pain. Baylee had been having some problems with her heart rate dropping when I laid on my back or right side so they finally decided to put an internal monitor on her to make sure they were getting good readings. They broke my water to do this. When my contractions were not intensifying and I was still dialated to a 4 after about 4 hours at the hospital they decided to try some petocin. They put it in and within probably 20 minutes Baylee's heart rate dropped again. This time they were not able to get it back up by changing positions. Very quickly the doctor determined that they needed to get Baylee out immediately and I was rushed to the OR. Evan was able to come but had to stay out in the hall because the doctor determined I would need to be put under as they did not have time to do a spinal block. It was very scarry. Everything moved very quickly and I as well as Evan were both panicked. Meanwhile my mom had arrived at the hospital to learn I was being prepped for a c-section. Evan and my mom were both scarred by the nurses flying in and out of the room screaming for the additional doctor and anesthesiologist. I was in the room alone with the surgical team trying to keep calm so I could get take in as much oxygen for Baylee as possible. I remember trying to say a silent prayer but was too scarred to even form complete thoughts. I just hoped Heavenly Father would here the prayer that was in my heart. The next thing I knew I was waking up looking at the anesthesiologist and two nurses I didn't recognize. They were wheeling me to the recovery room. My first question was "where is Bayee and is Evan with her?". They told me that the baby was fine and was waiting in my birthing suite with Evan. Within about fifteen minutes of waking up they told me I was ready to be wheeled back up to my room. That was when I first got to see and hold Baylee. She was screaming because it had been an hour and she hadn't been fed. Later Evan told me that it took the doctors only one minute to cut me open and get Baylee out on teh table. She was perfect except for blue feet and hands. They discovered the reason for her distress was that her embilical cord was knoted in two places. When they gave me the petocin that increased the strength of my contractions she was pushed further down in my pelvis which tightened the notes and cut off her blood and oxygen supply. The doctor said her heart rate dropped from the 150s to the 20s. I am so grateful for modern technology and for Kadlec's OB staff. If I had been somewhere where there was no OR to go to she would have surely died. I am also so grateful to my heavenly father that I went into labor before she dropped on her own. I could have lost her if the knot had tighted when she wasn't being monitored. We are very lucky to have our precious little girl and we know it.
We were able to go home from the hospital within two days of delivery because I was doing so well and so was Baylee. I am continuing to do well. I have some pain but believe it or not it is more hip and back pain. My incision doesn't hurt much at all. The bad news is if we have a third child I will almost surely have to have a c-section becuase of how quickly they had to cut me open it makes vback extremely dangerous. You can see Baylee's newborn picture on the Kadlec website http://www.kadlecfoundation.org/newborn_gallery.php
I will try to post a slideshow of photos as well if I can figure it out!
Escape to the Country With Me
7 months ago
3 comments:
I can't even believe that you had Baylee on Thursday. I was visiting with you Thursday morning and you didn't even look like you were going to have her. I am so glad everything worked out the way it did. But I can't believe you didn't call and have Jace come over or I could have come and helped you clean up. Really I am so close call next time. Again I am so thankful for your little miracle.
Wow, Lacey, I am glad everything worked out and that Baylee is here with your family. Amazing that you got to go home that quickly!!! I thought with CSections you had to stay a min of 3 to 4 days!!!! She is beautiful
Yeah, I can see why you cry when you tell that story... We're so glad that she is here and safe!
Post a Comment